A terrific alternative to eat broccoli! The saltiness from both the feta & bacon sure does the trick on turning this plain old vegetable into a superstar!
It’s the last day of holiday break. We put all the Christmas decorations away & started packing for our move today. Even though it’s the 4th, I still have lots of leftover food & sweets that I’ve been munching on here & there the past few days. That’s all about to change…
From this point on, I will be using this brilliant new lens I got for Christmas. Nikon 50mm f/1.4G SIC SW Prime AF-S Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras, It sure makes a difference! I’ve tried creating a path of movement in this shot, although the focal point is in the center rather than the base of the image… Aside from that, these are the majority of the ingredients in this incredibly delicious salad…
Same ingredients, taken from the top… I couldn’t decide which photo to use.
The trick here is to steam both the kale & the broccoli for just under 5 minutes with some sea salt. It really brings out more flavor & color as well as softens them up a bit.
This is where I tell you my first experience of Broccoli Salad. I was a little girl & my mother managed a women’s boutique & I would tag along with her on weekends as well as get dropped off there from school during the week. There was & still is a gourmet sandwich shop called Wright’s Gourmet. Man this is one great sandwich shop. They prepare their broccoli salad a little differently than this but, it’s what I was going for.
My husband, Daniel & I were eating at a Sweet Tomato’s recently & after we ate our plates of salad which we personally created from the abundant salad bar, he got up & got a second plate full of their version of broccoli salad. They use raisins as well as a sweet dressing in theirs. That’s when the lightbulb went off as I was lurking in the fridge as what to make for lunch last week as all these components were right there in front of me. And that’s when this broccoli salad came into existence.
We’ve made two batches now & it has disappeared almost as quickly as it appeared. It’s that good.
- 4 cups broccoli crowns, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 bunches kale
- 1 cup sun-gold tomatoes, halved (can sub grape tomatoes)
- .5 cup feta cheese
- 4 slices bacon, cut into bits, browned & drained of excess grease (easier to cut when really cold, pop in freeze a few min)
- .25 cup plain nonfat greek yogurt
- 1 T dijon
- .5 t minced shallot
- .25 cup white balsamic vinegar
- .5 t garlic powder
- pinch of sea salt & fresh cracked pepper
- .75 cup evoo
- steam together the kale & broccoli with a generous pinch of sea salt for just under 5 min
- brown the bacon
- prepare the dressing in a small bowl & reserve on the side
- in a large bowl, add
- broccoli, kale, tomatoes, feta cheese, bacon & drizzle desired amount of dressing
- mix well & enjoy