An easy recipe to cure your craving for chocolate. Just a handful of ingredients & very little time, your on your way to chocolate heaven.
I’ve been trying to find a successful recipe for these for quite sometime now. My first attempt was making them with Nutella & no cornstarch or cream of tartar. They came out so wonderfully well that my quest to replicate those again have been a bit of a challenge.
I found this recipe on epicurious which was adapted from bon apetit & thought I’d give it a whirl. The first time I made them, they turned out extremely chocolatey, (if there is such a thing, there is…) so I decided to cut the amount of chocolate called for in the original recipe by half. (To be perfectly honest, I forgot to fold in the chocolate chips in the end) They turned out really, well… perfect. Just the right amount of chocolate that has you reaching for that sip of ice cold milk. Ahh… a childhood memory that lives on.
I originally stumbled upon this idea from a friend of mine that was looking for a gluten-free cookie to make for a friend of hers. That was when I dug through my memory index of lessons learned from my culinary education & whipped up the original Nutella cookies as I mentioned before. I will solve the mystery of those & once I do, I will share… In the meantime, these will suffice. This is a good foundation to build from, altering different ingredient additions like nuts, dried fruit & even making a vanilla version of them for those non chocolate lovers.
I’m really glad I finally came up with a decent version of these as they could be quite challenging to make if you haven’t in a while, or at least for me. I look forward to sharing this “modified” version of this with my friend that requested I make these.
If you have any suggestions or an even better recipe, please share them with me!
- Non stick spray (I use coconut oil)
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Position one rack in top third & one rack in bottom third of oven & preheat to 350*F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment & spray with non stick spray.
- Place chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl & cook for 15 seconds at a time, stirring between each 15 second interval to prevent scorching. Stir until melted & smooth. Let cool, about 10 minutes.
- Whisk 1/2 cup sugar, cocoa & cornstarch in a bowl until well blended, set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat eggs, vanilla, salt & cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
- Add remaining one cup of sugar in 4 additions, beating just to blend after each addition.
- Continue to beat until meringue is glossy & thick, about 2 minutes longer.
- Beat in cocoa mixture, fold in melted chocolate.
- Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls onto prepared sheets, spacing 3 inches apart.
- Bake for 7 minutes, rotate sheets & bake 6 minutes longer, until dry-looking & cracked.
- Cool cookies on sheets for 5 minutes then transfer to racks to cool completely.