A terrific marriage of ingredients picked up from my local farmer’s market. Not much to do to these components as I like to keep the integrity of them especially when enjoyed on a hot summer day!
I had a wonderful day at the market! I decided to hit the Decatur Farmer’s Market & ran into some old friends which made my day even brighter!
One of the farmers there was one I met while working at a sustainable supportive restaurant called Woodfire Grill. His name is Bobby Britt & has a huge farm in the heart of Atlanta & supplies a lot of his harvest to the surrounding top restaurants. He is well known by most of Atlanta’s chefs.
Pictured here are some “lemon cucumbers” from him as well as those sweet sun-gold tomatoes, (hard for little hands to stay away from) they are so sweet & delicious! Just like an explosion of goodness goes off in your mouth. The small things in life are what keep me smiling!
Here are the ingredients I used to make this salad. It gets the crunchiness as the result of keeping the vegetables as close to their integrity as possible.
I simply washed & sliced the beets, zucchini & lemon cucumber very carefully on my mandoline. I steamed the beets first so that they wouldn’t bleed onto the rest of the ingredients.
Then I cut & steamed the kale for just 1 minute.
Once all my components were prepped, I made my amazing garden fresh Basil vinaigrette grown right here at home.
This is where my trusty NutriBullet comes in handy, yet again. I wanted to make a big batch of this since I have a lot of basil going on.
All in for the party!
Then time to assemble. I fanned out each of the beet, zucchini & lemon cucumber, drizzled the vinaigrette over while I tossed the slightly steamed kale with a bit of dressing & placed on top if the vegetables. I finished with sliced sun-golds & chopped toasted pecans.
This can be presented in any way yet I like to prevent things from turning purple. What are some ways you like to eat beets?
- 2 small beets
- 1/2 med zucchini
- 1/4 t sea salt, divided
- 1 med lemon cucumber, (could use yellow squash)
- small bunch of kale
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup sun-gold tomatoes, (could use grape tomatoes)
- Basil Vinaigrette
- 1 bunch of fresh basil
- 2 T tahini
- 2 T dijon
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 t sea salt
- 1/4 t fresh cracked pepper
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup evoo
- Slice the beets, zucchini & lemon cucumber very thin.
- Steam the beets & zucchini in two batches, (to prevent beets from bleeding onto zucchini) with a pinch of salt on each
- Toast the pecans in a single layer on baking sheet at 350 for 5 min
- Steam the kale for 1 min with a pitch of salt
- Prepare the dressing by adding all the ingredients except the oil into a blender & slowly add the oil until desired consistency.
- In a large bowl add 1 T of dressing for a light coating on the kale
- On each serving plate, fan out the zucchini, beet & lemon cucumber to form hollow circle
- Drizzle the dressing over vegetables
- Add a small mound of Kale to the center of each plate
- Finish with chopped toasted pecans & sliced sun-gold tomatoes