Steel Cut Oats, where have you been all of my life? To make these oats a la minute, they take a bit of time to prepare. Best had on the weekends, but alas! I found a quick & convenient way to prep a large batch to enjoy on those time constrained weekday mornings.
I ordered some bags of Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Whole Grain, Steel Cut Oats, 24-Ounce Bags (Pack of 4) I’ve been trying really hard to get more oatmeal into my diet as I’ve read in my recent research for breastmilk producing foods, oatmeal is right up there. I will be breast feeding for the next year, (or so I hope) which points me towards healthy foods like steel cut oats to prepare & include in my diet during this time. And hey, they are really great tasting too!
For this batch, I piled everything into my trusty Ball Wide Mouth Half Gallon (64 Oz) Jars with Lids and Bands, Set of 6: Mason Jar – I try to get as much use out of these as I can, really good to have around… In went the dry oats, crushed & toasted pecans & some golden raisins. I finished the jar off with Vanilla Greek yogurt & Unsweetened Almond Coconut milk. I had to mix everything well to make sure it was all incorporated together. On went the top & into the fridge for an overnight “soaking.”
This is my second time ever preparing, “overnight” oats & I’ve got to admit, I’m really surprised I hadn’t been into doing this more often. It must have been all the hype I’ve read & heard about it that made me shy away from this whole, “fad.” I’m glad I got over myself because now I know what I’ve been missing… This jar got me 4 servings. Four servings of many more to come into my near future.
These oats still have great texture after sitting in liquids overnight. In other words, they are not “mushy” at all… In fact, I spooned some out into a saucepan over med-low heat & added more unsweetened almond coconut milk to them & it came out perfectly. Five minutes, tops.
The warming of the golden raisins, rehydrated them to a sweet plumpness, there was no need for any other sweetener other than a bit of fresh fruit.
Now thats a darn good tasty breakfast right there! I just can’t get enough…
Thanks for reading!
- 1 1/2 cups Steel Cut Oats
- 1/4 cup crushed & toasted pecans, (or any you like)
- 1/4 golden raisins (optional)
- 1 cup vanilla greek yogurt (optional)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond coconut milk (if not using yogurt, use 2 cups of milk)
- spices optional, cardamon – cinnamon – nutmeg
- add everything together in a large container, mix well & place in fridge overnight.
- spoon serving amount into a sauce pan, add more milk if wanted & warm over med-low heat for a few minutes or until it reaches the desired temperature. (not too hot with yogurt)