I asked my husband, Daniel what is his favorite type of salad? He replied, “The kind with mandarin oranges & wonton strips.” He turned the lightbulb on over my head, & this is what came of it!
Spring is coming to the South & that means salad season is near! I could eat salad all year round, in fact I already do, but that’s whats so great about them, they are so completely versatile, & not just for the ladies! Daniel gives his two thumbs up on this one, so sneak this on your other half, or those that don’t particularly care for the green meal & see what type of response you get…
I start off by cooking flavorful boneless chicken thighs in my cast iron skillet. I get the pan hot with a pat of butter & add the seasoned thighs to the griddle, getting a nice sear on them. Once they begin to caramelize, I flip them & put the pan in a 350 degree oven to finish the job.
But, before I do that…
I must toast my nuts… Cashews & Sesame seeds here. 400 degree oven, for 10 min. tops.
As the chicken does it’s thing in the oven, I shred carrots, slice some green onions, & separate mandarin segments from their juice. (Save it, it’s part of the dressing.)
I have a box grater which I’m always injuring the tips of my fingers on. I don’t know whats with that. I dream about the day I get a new food processor with the shredding adapter with it. It will make my life so much easier. ( I shouldn’t be complaining) The small things in life.
The main character of this event is the dressing. It’s always in the dressing. I wanted to use up what I already had on hand & came up with a winner of a dressing. I was quite impressed it I must say so myself. It’s pretty darn easy too.
Super flavorful, the combo. of the sweet mandarin with the tangy dressing, always creates a party in my mouth. I’m so glad I came up with this, for it won’t be a stranger to our dining room table.
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless, chicken thighs
- .5 T unsalted butter
- pinch of each, sea salt & fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup raw cashews
- .25 cup raw sesame seeds
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 1 avocado, diced
- .5 can mandarins
- 4 cups Super Greens or Mesculin Mix
- 1 t creamy peanut butter
- .25 c gluten free soy sauce
- .25 c rice wine vinegar
- .5 t ground ginger
- 1 t Chinese five spice
- .25 cup mandarin juice
- .25 cup peanut oil
- Turn oven on to 400 degrees
- On a parchment lined sheet pan, add cashews & sesame seeds, toast 7-10 min, checking not to burn, reduce oven to 350.
- In a cast iron skillet or oven prove pan, put on stove on med-high heat with butter, season thighs & add to hot pan, allow caramelization on one side & turn thighs to allow a few more minutes to brown. Add pan to oven.
- In large bowl, add greens, carrots, green onions, toasted cashews & sesame seeds, mandarins, avocado & top with sliced chicken.
- Drizzle dressing over & toss!
- In a small bowl, add all ingredients with the exception of oil. Whisk well in incorporate the peanut butter, slowly add the oil. Wah Law!