This is the ultimate in powerhouse protein. I saw this as I was walking by the seafood department in my local market & it practically jumped out at me!
Sockeye Salmon is a Wild King Salmon from the Pacific Northwest, this in particular is from the Columbia River. As they spawn upstream, they work so hard in turn makes them extremely lean & can get really big.
The nutritional value of Sockeye Salmon is incredible. Especially while pregnant. With the amount of healthy omegas involved, I try to prepare this more so than I do normally. Being in the beginning stages of the wild salmon season really helps matters.
The deep red color of wild salmon says it all. I could almost eat it raw. If I wasn’t’ preggers, I just may have done so!
I really love the ease of cooking it as well. I make sure I get my “cast iron” skillet hot with oil to get that grand sear going on so that it stays crazy juicy on the inside.
My first experience of Sockeye Salmon was way back when I worked in a restaurant known as, McCormick & Schmick’s Seafood Restaurant, (some of the best fun days of my life), I remember hearing about this famous “Sockeye Salmon” as if we were preparing for the queen to arrive. We were very well educated on the significance of it & with all the incredible nutritional qualities it has to offer, it wasn’t hard to sell. We sold out of it every night we had it available. It came from Copper River & it was prepared simply seared to temp. with seasoning of s&p. Why ruin a good thing?
Well, I like pesto. A LOT! So I had some ingredients available to make a parsley pesto to enjoy with my salmon that I could’t pass up. I was going for souped up powerhouse here. This parsley, walnut & parmesan pesto was a perfect addition to my healthy lunch.
Easy to make this, so many variations to do as well…
It’s the perfect balance to the richness of this fish. The acidity from the lemon & creaminess from the walnuts & parm. simply elevates the flavor of both. I could eat this for days.
- 1/2 lb. Sockeye Salmon
- 1 T olive oil (or cooking oil of choice)
- pinch of sea salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup raw walnuts
- 1 1/2 cup firmly packed fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan
- juice & zest of 1 lemon
- 4 T EVOO
- pinch of each, sea salt, fresh cracked pepper & crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Set oven to 350
- Place oven proof skillet over med-high heat
- Season salmon with S&P
- Add oil to skillet
- Place fish in skillet SKIN SIDE DOWN, let sear for 3-4 min before turning then put the skillet in the oven for 8 min. for med-rare 10-12 min. for med. & 12-15 for well done.
- Place all ingredients, except oil in a food processor or blender
- Turn on & stream in oil until it reaches desired consistency.