I love turning my squash into make shift pasta dishes. This is one dish that can be served as a main or side.
We went to the market last Saturday after we were planning to meet up with a group for a run around Piedmont Park. We had trouble finding parking so we were a bit late to the meet up. We were left behind. So we made our own “fun run” out of it. It was Be-Bee’s first “real run” with us. We were able to create a “belt leash” which to my surprise works really well.
We were successful in running three miles with her! We are working towards a 30 min 5k. We are getting there!
After we ran we hit the market for some goodness…
What a treat as well as a great way to support our community! I love the fact that by purchasing our goods from the markets creates such a strong support system not to mention, guaranteed high quality, super fresh delights. Preparing my meals from this bounty help make my food taste so much better. It’s a total win-win all around.
We picked up some delicious raspberry infused iced coffee from “Blue Donkey.” The combination of the fresh blueberries & this coffee were so good. It was a great reward from our run.
So I prepared an awesome meal from our findings with Summer Squash, Zucchini & Sun gold tomatoes.
I added a few more ingredients to heighten the integrity of this dish.
I steamed the squash with a little sea salt. I own a mandolin but prefer to hand cut, (julienne) the zucchinis & squash to keep my knife skills going. Just steamed these for 3-5 min until desired consistency. Don’t let them go too long for they will fall apart. Since making this, I’ve invested in a Veggetti Spiral Vegetable Slicer, Makes Veggie Pasta, check it out, it makes preparing this dish a lot easier.
In the meantime, I created a “garlic paste” just by adding a large pinch of salt to two minced garlic cloves. Using the back of my knife, I rubbed the salt into the garlic several times to create the paste consistency. Then I added it to a large bowl with a bit of olive oil. I halved the tomatoes, added them into the bowl & finally brought the steamed squash noodles over it all.
I finished it with a squeeze of lemon and basil chiffonade, (basil cut into strips). Ohh – was I in heaven! So tasty & delicious!
Do you have a local market offered in your area?
- 1 zucchini
- 1 summer squash
- 1/2 pint sun-gold tomatoes or grape tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt – divided
- 1 teaspoon evoo
- 5 large basil leaves – cut into strips
- 1/2 lemon – juice
- Carefully cut the zucchini & squash into thin strips & place them into a steamer with a pinch of salt.
- Steam for a very short 4 minutes.
- Mince the two cloves of garlic & top with a large pinch of salt & rub the back of your knife into the salt & garlic – trying to create a paste. Add this into a large bowl.
- Halve the tomatoes & add to the bowl.
- Add the evoo.
- Removed steamed “noodles” & place them into the bowl and mix lightly to combine.
- Finish with the basil, lemon juice & a pinch more salt, (if needed)