The healing powers of Turmeric are incredible. I try to get more of it into my diet any way I can. Turmeric Coconut Squash Soup is definitely an easy way for that to happen.
Benefits of Turmeric:
- It’s an anti-inflammatory
- It helps with many gastrointestinal issues
- It delay’s diabetes
- It fights off certain types of cancer
- It has many therapeutic effects
The active ingredient in Turmeric is Curcumin & it’s not readily bioavailable.
3 Ways to Make Turmeric More Bioavailable:
- Eat Turmeric with Black Pepper: Piperine, the alkaloid in Black Pepper enhances the BA of curcumin in turmeric.
- Add Fat: Turmeric has a low solubility in water. Add it to your Healthy Fats! Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Ghee or Avocado.
- Make Tea: Using the fresh root, adding a few slices can release the active compounds. (Remove the root before consuming.)
(The above is sourced from: Gluten Free Gigi )
Now that you have an idea of why I value this ingredient to my health, I believe it should be added to everyone’s menu who has an autoimmunity.
There are many different ways you can incorporate it into your diet.
Here’s my favorite, (this week) 🙂
I had an abundance of summer squash… I joined a CSA last month & I have the greatest, most freshest, local & organic produce I could ever get. So you know summer squash is growing wild here in the South.
I initially wanted to create a Squash Gazpacho but I’m currently on the Candida diet & one of the protocols is to avoid cold drinks & foods. (Bad for the spleen)
This recipe has the same ingredients as the Gazpacho with the addition of Coconut Milk & Turmeric. It has a Thai flavor to it.
I simmered my summer squash with onion, garlic & chicken bone broth.
Oh the many benefits of Bone Broth for those of us that suffer from autoimmunity. That will be for my next post.
After simmering for twenty minutes, I let the veggies cool down a bit & added the turmeric, salt & pepper then pureed everything together really well…
Then returned the puree to the pot & added one can of coconut milk. Simmered it until smooth & creamy. Oh it’s so dreamy… I had to.